Monday, November 20, 2006

Stinky Cheese is Stinky Cheese

The nation's only maker of Limburger cheese is making a comeback, according to Myron Olson, the owner of Chalet Cheese factory. Which means sales are up by a third in recent years.

Have any of you tried Limburger before? It is the worst-smelling thing in the universe. It can be quite tasty if you overpower it, in a horseradish mustard/raw onions/rye bread sandwich, with liver sausage on the side. It's true. It works. But it's not for the weak of heart. My dear wife caught me on film the first time I ever tasted Limburger cheese. This is not acting; it actually tasted that way:

Yuk

Limburger Cheese Originally uploaded by Paul Grant.

It sounds like a bit of Limburger's revival comes from people's desire to be cultured. Olson says: "When you talk Limburger, right away people turn their nose up. But if you give it a fancy French name people are, 'Oh, what is that?' And then they'll try it and realize it's a stinky cheese, but boy, that's a good piece of cheese."

I hope I'm not subject to cheap ploys like that. Let's call a stinky cheese a stinky cheese. Of course acquired taste can be part of enjoying cultural heritage. But forcing something down to be trendy contains its own punishment.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, November 27, 2006, Blogger Pete Juvinall said...

Beautiful picture of you Paul :). I'm a colby man myself...or maybe brick. :)

 
At 11:16 AM, November 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only Paul's tastes would stop at colby or brick! I consider Limburger to be among the "foot cheeses", which have no place anywhere near food I'm going to eat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home