Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Band's In Trouble


PICT0055
Originally uploaded by LeeLee81.
My Alma Mater is getting around to disciplining several members of the marching band for lewd behavior.

At one level, this is not surprising. Everyone who has gone to Wisconsin knows the band is crazy. They're one of the most athletic bands I've ever seen. I'm sure many of them are in better shape than many varsity athletes. They work hard, and they party hard. Band parties were always the wildest, and have been that way for a long, long time.

What's more surprising to me is how often in the last week I've heard the word "Band Geek" or its equivalents. People are surprised that nastiness could come out of the band. Those were the big losers at that high school or the other.

But the band-geek comments are plain old "ig'nant". I'm sure there are football players at Wisconsin who mistakenly believe the majority of UW students at the stadium are there for the game. No, they're there for the party. The game is the occasion, and the band is, well, the band.

A Wisconsin home game wouldn't be a home game without the band, but can very well happen without the football players. Just stick around for the post-game "fifth quarter" party. That's where all the fun is.

While I was in college 7 years ago, the UW band always held the wildest parties. I'm sure that's still the case.

Band Geeks! These are the true cool badgers.

Unfortunately, they were a little too cool for their own good. And they're getting disciplined.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home